It is very rare that a buyer will find the "perfect" home. Some
sacrifices will have to be made because most of us are working within a
budget. What you don't want to sacrifice are the "bones" of the home
(structure, roof, HVAC, etc), the floor plan, and the size of the rooms.
However, there are a lot of cosmetic issues that will become a deal
breaker for many buyers when in reality, they can easily be changed with
a little bit of sweat equity. Here is an example of how to cheaply
remodel a half bath.
I remodeled the half bath when we purchased a colonial that was almost 50 years old. The existing bath when we first moved in was very dated. I
wanted to make it classy without breaking the bank. I splurged on the
toilet and faucet because I wanted "eco options," but there are a lot
cheaper toilets/facuets that will also look nice.
Toilet $275.00 (I saw some nice looking ones for as low as $100)
Vanity and Top: $130.00
Mirror $55.00
Vinyl Tile $20.00 (.69 cents per tile) (super easy to install)
Faucet $150.00 (but classy styles as low as $80).
Misc Supplies $50.00 (caulking, glue, etc).
 |
| Dated Bathroom |
 |
| Cheaply Remodelled Bathroom |
Doing
it yourself will save you hundreds of dollars. Installing the toilets,
vanity, faucets can be pretty easy if you take the time to read
directions, use a little common sense, and have patience. If you have
never done it before (which I had not), you can google instructions and many times you will find YouTube videos that teach you step-by-step.
Also, make sure you plan out what makes more sense to
do first, which most likely will be the tile.
No comments:
Post a Comment